Urban Health Club
The UIC Urban Health Program Urban Health Club (UHC) was established in 2019 in partnership with the UI Health CHAMPIONS program and replaced the former CHAMPIONS After-School Club (2016-2018).
Grant funding provided by the Telligen Community Initiative has allowed us to expand our after-school programmatic offerings via UHC + CHAMPIONS, a virtual after-school program serving high school youth from the following school districts: Belvidere Community Unit School District (BCUSD 100), City of Chicago School District (CPS 299), Peoria Public Schools (PSD150), Rockford Public Schools District (RPS 205), and Urbana School District (USD116). These districts are located in communities currently experiencing or anticipating a shortage of healthcare professionals.
UHC Programmatic Strategies
- Higher education application processes & financial aid counseling
- Academic advising
- Health career pathways exposure
- Professional skills development
- COVID-19 Youth Ambassador Program
- Social justice & health equity awareness in partnership with CHAMPIONS
UHC Programmatic Offerings
- UHC in partnership with CHAMPIONS (All high school grade levels eligible to join).
UHC participants referred to the CHAMPIONS summer internship.
- Incoming college freshmen UHC alumni are referred to partner UIC pre-health prep undergraduate programs; Chicagoland-based undergraduates are referred to pre-health resources when applicable.