Patients and Visitors
- Preparing for Your Visit
- Accessible Resources and Services
- Medical Records Requests
- Billing & Pricing
- Financial Assistance
- Care Coordination
- Pastoral Care Services
- Patient and Family Advisory Committee (PFAC)
- Patient Safety and Policies
- Patient Rights
- Health Information Exchange
- Personal Health Care Resources
Visiting a Patient
Health Insurance Information
Locations & Directions
Mile Square Health Center (MSHC)
The University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System provides financial assistance for uninsured patients that meet certain requirements. The first step is to see if you qualify for any available programs that would cover your medical care - GET Insured.
Should you not qualify for other insurance programs, we determine the level of discount that you will receive based on your income in comparison to current Federal Poverty rates.
UI Health's financial assistance programs are designed for uninsured patients and do not offer any discounts on coinsurance, deductible or other out of pocket expenses for patients with third party insurance. Available assistance programs include Charity Care, Catastrophic Loss Claims, and the Uninsured Patient Discount. The Uninsured Patient Discount Program provides a discount for uninsured patients that demonstrate a financial need and may not otherwise qualify for Charity Care. The discount applies to self-pay patients who are receiving medically necessary services and do not qualify for other funding programs. The patient or guarantor must request the discount within 240 days of receiving an invoice from UI Health. Other terms and conditions apply. Patients can request this discount by contacting 312.996.1000 or the phone number on the patient statement if they have received a bill.
Financial Assistance Application Process
- Call 312.413.7621 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Obtain a copy of the Financial Assistance Application (doc) | Spanish version (doc)
- Complete the application and submit supporting documents.
- Submit the completed application and documents to a Financial Counselor.
- A financial counselor will respond to your application as soon as possible.
Supporting documents usually include things like:
- An ID Card (Driver's License or State ID)
- Your tax returns (last 2 years if available)
- Your pay stubs (last 3 months if available)
- Information on any other income sources
- A statement of financial hardship. This is usually needed if you cannot provide pay stubs, tax returns or information that would help us determine your income level and status.
- Other documents as determined by your Financial Counselor.
- Listing of Financial Assistance programs available at UI Hospital
- UI Hospital Financial Assistance Policy (pdf) | Spanish (pdf)
- Save & Type-In Financial Assistance Application - English (doc) | Spanish (doc)
- Print & Write-In Financial Assistance Application - English (pdf) | Spanish (pdf)
- Plain Language Summary - English (pdf) | Spanish (pdf)
- Financial Assistance, Excluded Providers - English (pdf) | Spanish (pdf)
- Certified Application Counselors 312.413.7621
- Hospital and Professional Billing 312.996.1000